Abilene Christian Tennis Camps
Facilities and Directions
Cecil and Judi Eager Tennis Pavillion
ACU has one of the finest tennis facilities in NCAA Division II in the Eager Tennis Center, located just to the east of both Moody Coliseum and the Teague Special Events Center.
The facility features 10 courts, which have played host to numerous Lone Star Conference, NCAA Division II regional and high school tournaments.
In August 2001, the university announced that a new pavilion would be added to the facility and that it would be named for the most successful tennis coach in school history and his wife. Construction on the Judi and Cecil Eager Tennis Pavilion began in fall 2001 and was completed in time for the fall 2002 season. Eager served as the ACU men’s and women’s tennis coach for 12 years (1977-83 and 1986-90).
The new pavilion has covered seating (approximately 175 seats, including some chairback seating) and is located west of the four championship courts and next to the Teague Special Events Center.
In front of the six courts south of the main courts is a smaller covered grandstand. In between the two pavilions is a viewing stand with benches.
In addition to the new pavilions, new championship court lighting was installed on the four main courts and recreational lighting was installed for the other six courts, making it possible for ACU to host the NCAA Division II national tournament.
Prior to the 2007-08 school year, each of the courts was re-surfaced and fencing around both sets of courts were covered in new wind screens. The south courts were also extended to the east by 18 feet so that bleachers could be added between courts 3 and 4.
The ACU men’s and women’s tennis teams also have use of the three indoor courts inside the Teague Special Events Center. The hard-court surface on the the indoor facility serves the Wildcats during the fall and early spring season.
Teague Center Address: 163 Teague Special Events Center, Abilene, Texas (Google Map Directions)
The Teague Center was dedicated in February 1999 and houses the football offices, locker room, training room facilities, and a large room with three indoor tennis courts.
The football offices include head coach Chris Thomsen’s, as well those for his staff. The football locker room, refurbished before the 2006 season with new flooring and lockers, also is located inside the Teague Center.
The center is named for ACU chancellor emeritus and former president, Dr. William J. Teague, and his wife, Peggy.
The state-of-the-art facility can hold up to 1,000 people for banquets, and has been the host to luncheons featuring former UCLA head basketball coach John Wooden and the late former PGA legend Byron Nelson.
Campus Map ()
Abilene Christian University Address: 1949 ACU Drive, Abilene, TX 79699
Directions to ACU
• From DFW - Take I-20 west to Abilene. Exit Highway 351. Go West on 351 (Ambler Ave.). Turn left onto Judge Ely Blvd. ACU is on your right.
• From Midland/Odessa - Take I-20 East to Abilene. Exit Pine Street. At the split take Treadaway. Turn left on E.N. 16th (also known as E.N. 13th). ACU is several blocks east on the left.
• From Austin - Take Highway 183 North to Brownwood, turn left at stoplight onto 84/67/377, passing through Brownwood and Bangs. At Santa Anna, continue on Highway 84 as the road curves. As you enter Abilene on Highway 84, the road becomes Treadaway Blvd. Go straight on Treadaway for several miles until you reach E.N. 13th (also known as E.N. 16th). Turn right. ACU is several blocks east on the left.
• From San Antonio - Take I-10 West to Junction. Take 83 North to Abilene. Coming into Abilene, on Highway 83/84, the road becomes Treadaway Blvd. Go straight on Treadaway for several miles until you reach E.N. 13th (also known as E.N. 16th). Turn right. ACU is several blocks east on the left.
• From Houston - Take Highway 6 to Hempstead. Take Highway 36 through Brenham, Temple, Gatesville and Comanche. Coming into Abilene on Highway 36, turn right onto Judge Ely Blvd. at the light. At the third traffic light on Judge Ely, ACU is on the left.
Directions From Airports
• DFW International - Take south airport exit to 183 west toward Fort Worth. Travel on I-820 West for approximately 20 miles and then take the I-30W exit (exit 3A) toward Weatherford. Just west of Fort Worth, I-30 and I-20 will merge, and you will then be on I-20 heading west toward Abilene. Once in Abilene, take exit number 288 and stay on the access road until you come to the stoplight at Ambler Ave./Hwy. 351. Take a left and go back under I-20, and you will see the ACU campus straight ahead.
• Dallas Love Field - Start by going southeast on Cedar Springs Rd / Arrivals toward Parking. Continue to follow Cedar Springs Rd. Turn right onto W. Mockingbird Lane, and then right onto E. John W. Carpenter Freeway. Merge onto 183 West via the ramp on the left. Travel on I-820 west for approximately 20 miles and then take the I-30W exit (exit 3A) toward Weatherford. Just west of Fort Worth, I-30 and I-20 will merge, and you will then be on I-20 heading west toward Abilene. Once in Abilene, take exit number 288 and stay on the access road until you come to the stoplight at Ambler Ave./Hwy. 351. Take a left and go back under I-20, and you will see the ACU campus straight ahead.
• Abilene Regional Airport - Exit the airport and take a left onto Hwy. 36. Go under Hwy. 83/84 all the way to Judge Ely Blvd. Take a right on Judge Ely Blvd., heading north. Go through the lights at East Hwy. 80, East North 10th. At East North 16th you will see the ACU Campus on your left.
• Lubbock International Airport - Start out going East on Terminal and then turn left onto Airport exit. Turn left onto I-27 South / US-87 South. Merge onto I-27 South / US-87 South via the ramp on the left. Take exit Number 1B toward TX 289 Loop East / US-84 (Post). Stay straight to go onto I-27 South / Avenue H / US-87 South. Merge onto US-84 East via the ramp on the left for 113 miles. Merge onto I-20 East toward Abilene. Once in Abilene, take exit number 288. Take the first right onto Judge Ely Blvd, heading south. You will see the ACU campus on your right after you pass Ambler Avenue.
• Midland International Airport - Upon exiting the airport, turn right onto I-20 BL West / US-80 West. Take the FM-1788 ramp toward I-20. Stay right at the fork in the ramp. Turn right onto FM 1788 North. Turn left onto I-20 East for 161 miles. Once in Abilene, take exit number 288. Take the first right onto Judge Ely Blvd, heading south. You will see the ACU campus on your right after you pass Ambler Avenue.
• San Angelo Regional Airport-Mathis Field - Upon exiting the airport, turn right onto RM 584 for approximately 7 miles. Turn left onto US-277 North / US-87 North. Turn right onto West 6th Street. Turn left onto ramp. Turn right onto US-67 North / US-277 North and continue to follow US-67 North for approximately 37 miles. Stay straight to go onto US-83 North for approximately 49 miles. Once in Abilene, take the Hwy. 322 Loop East ramp and stay on the loop for approximately 5 miles. Take the Business 20 / Hwy. 80 exit and go west into town. Take a right at Judge Ely Blvd. and go through the light at East North 10th. At East North 16th you will see the ACU Campus on your left.